Saturday, January 9, 2016

Brent's BD

 Talofa Lava Family and Friends,
View of Downtown Apia, Samoa
After a busy week last week, we took some down time to relax this weekend.  Yesterday (Sat) we cleaned up the apt., did shopping, went for Chinese food for lunch with the Lorenzs and then spent the afternoon reading and watching a movie. 

 This year our church starts at 7:30 am!  That means we are out by 10:30 and have the rest of the day. Today we decided to take a drive and explore some of the side roads and historical sites in Apia.  We ended up on a hillside with a great view of downtown Apia.  We live about five minutes away from the downtown area.


Brent's Birthday
This week was also Brent's Birthday.  We were both excited that a Christmas Box arrived on his birthday from our friend Marleen in NY.  Our favorite candy is Mike & Ikes,(original)  and there was a good amount enclosed to keep us both happy for a long time, besides mosquito repellent wipes and garlic pills.  Thank You!  He loved hearing from many of you on FB and he got calls from the kids and his brother.  For lunch I took him to his favorite Ice Cream store, Ooh La La's, for a double cone and then out for dinner with friends.  I would say he had a good birthday. 

I was the patient this week with an infection (You don't want to know the details) so I asked the dentist (a friend) for an antibiotic.  I forgot to tell him that I am allergic to penicillin, and I paid a dear price for that omission.  Luckily it was not fatal, and after a trip to the doctor to treat the infection plus the rash, I am feeling good as new.  

Brent and I have loved reading "Samoa, An Historical Novel".  I wanted to see where the great Matai Chief Malietoa was buried, which is what spurred our Sunday drive.  He led the opposition against German colonial rule at the end of the 19th century.  I was shocked to find it on the way to the airport, on a road I have traveled many times.  Coming back into town, just a few blocks from our apt. we discovered the tomb of Tamatasese, another great Samoan Leader.  Learning about the history of this country has helped me understand and appreciate the culture here.

One interesting custom here is that when you die you are buried in the front yard.  If the family moves, they dig up the ancestor's bones, clean them up, wrap them in cloth and take them with them to be buried at their new home.  That way the family is always together.  I think this is a great idea - what about it kids?




Grave site in front of family home


We have another busy week ahead of us with transfers and a new couple arriving.  We are both happy and healthy and grateful to the Lord for the great blessing it is to serve in this beautiful country.  Life is never boring, and we are so busy that the weeks fly by.  

I am excited that the Book of Mormon is our scripture for the year to study in Sunday School.  The first few chapters are full of drama as Lehi's family flees Jerusalem.  The lesson that stuck out to me this time is that life is not promised to be easy and problem free if you are keeping God's commandments, but that in the eternal perspective, you will be blessed.  My scripture this week is Nephi 3:7 
  And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
I send my love!
Tofa, Patty


2 comments:

  1. They could bury you under the trampoline--then you could always hear the laughter of your grandchildren. The burying at home sounds good. Digging up the bones and transporting them might be something needing more thought.

    ReplyDelete