Saturday, March 19, 2016

Showers, Showers Everywhere!

Linda and Gail Goodman returned home to Payson, AZ

The sounds of Sat. mornings - 3 weed cutters cutting
our front lawn.  No one uses lawn mowers.
Talofa Family and Friends,
Unfortunately not every day can be happy and fun.  This week I was pretty down when we had to say goodbye to the Goodmans.  They moved in next door about a month ago,and we have had a ton of fun with them playing games, going out to eat, going to activities.  They are really going to be missed!
     Shortly after they moved in our shower stopped working.  It would start out with a good stream of water, but then within a minute it would be down to a slow dribble, and sometimes stop completely.  We decided that there was not enough water pressure for both our showers to run simultaneously so we worked out a shower schedule.  It was not until the day before they left that we found out there was a filter that needed to be changed.  Luckily they got one good shower before boarding the plane for home, and Brent and I are once again enjoying our shower - A tender mercy.
       Speaking of showers, we have had more than our share of rain this week, which has brought the oppressive humidity again.  Luckily we got our car back with the air conditioning fixed. Another tender mercy from the Lord.
       The day I was really in the doldrums an early birthday package arrived from my childhood friend, Marleen. She does not even know how good the Snicker Bar tasted and how much I appreciate her thoughtfulness!
Giant Clam - about 2 1/2 feet across!
      The picture above was taken out of my kitchen window Sat. morning.  These poor young men, out in the blazing heat mowing these huge lawns with weed wackers.  I can't imagine a more horrible job.   I know you are probably not that interested, but it is one thing that I wanted to remember about Samoa as weed wackers are everywhere!
     Saturday we went with some of the seniors to the giant clam preserve.  These clams are truly amazing and come in all different colors.  My sister Shauna and friend Marilyn will be here in a couple of weeks and so I am sure that this will be a must see for them.
     While we were swimming in the ocean a huge thunderstorm rolled in with loud bursts of thunder,  lightening and pelting rain.  Is the ocean like a swimming pool?  Are you supposed to get out when you see lightening?
We love the buses! (as long as we aren't one of the people
piled on top of each other inside.)
After a short discussion we decided to play it safe and run for cover under a beach fale, but on the way out we were all treated to a fresh water shower.
     This week I was looking for scriptures on the atonement, and came across a scripture that I loved.  It is found in the Old Testament in the book of Jeremiah 31: 33-34 -
" But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
 34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
I love the imagery of having the law of God in my "inward parts" and "written on my heart."  As we approach Easter I have been thinking about how grateful I am for the atonement of Jesus Christ.   The knowledge that I have that through repentance my sins and shortcomings can be forgiven, and to have the assurance that death is not the end but only a new beginning, are great blessings in my life. To know that  I can live again with my family because of the Lord's sacrifice makes me want to strive to be a better servant.  God bless you and keep you as you go throughout your week.
Love, Patty 

1 comment:

  1. How awesome that you are having friends/family visit! That will be a great time, I am sure.

    And the weed wackers- that's what I have to use on the weeds in my unfinished backyard a couple of times every summer. Oi yoi yoi, how my arms ache after that. And my hands feel like they have hairy spiders running all over them.... :)

    ReplyDelete