Sunday, June 19, 2016

Families are Forever

A wonderful week with Chad, Amy and Kids
 Talofa Family and Friends,
A Welcome cool down after hiking the South Upolu
coastal walk and then to the Ma Tree
The pictures will be telling of why I missed a week posting my blog - some our kids came to visit.  We had an incredible time showing them around the islands of Upolu and Savaii.  We swam at beautiful beaches and waterfalls, kayaked, snorkleled, hiked, played games, and had an absolutely amazing time.  However, as they were leaving last Monday morning I said a quiet thank you that I had survived the week - I was exhausted!  My right knee is giving me a lot of problems from the injury sustained right before we left.  I see an orthopedic in my very near future after arriving home.


Besides the thrill of having the kids visit, they brought a suitcase of treats from the states.  Sees Chocolates have never tasted so good!  There were also some new desperately needed clothes, walking sticks (a must now if I'm going to hike), and many other surprises, it was like Christmas.
Thank you Chad and Amy!!!  
       On the far side of Savaii there is a place where you can swim with sea turtles. The kids and Brent had a ball trying to catch and hold onto these turtles.I had a great time watching them, as my knee was not going to do good on the rocky bottom.
        After  visiting here Chad agreed with me, there is no way you can adequately describe the natural beauty of these islands.  Besides the natural beauty you have this entirely different lifestyle where many people "live off the grid."  Life here for many of the people is the same it has been for hundreds of years, with very little change.  It is really the perfect place to vacation if you want to get away from the rat race.                                                                                     
       We really appreciated the McBrides, who filled in at the office for us while we were gone.  Their kids are coming in October, so we will be able to repay the debt.  However, there was still a price to pay last week, as I had to work longer hours to catch up, on top of transfers.  These missionaries that left last Thurs.were young people we have worked with since we arrived.  It was hard to say goodbye to them.  I have become a BYU football fan on this mission, as we 
several young men who play on the team.  I'm afraid I'll be trading in my red for blue when we get home. 
      Yesterday we welcomed Elder and Sister Best to Samoa.  They will be working with the Whittles in Self-Reliance.  Tuesday we will be welcoming Sister Darla Anderson, (Elder McBride's Sister) and a new volunteer dentist and his wife, the Davis'.  As new people come, we also have to say good-bye to others. The Satius will be leaving at the end of June.  They
have served in the temple for 2 years - They are a wonderful couple who will be missed.


9 Amazing Missionaries
Returning Home

Seeing how it is "Father's Day" in the States today, I 
want to give a shout out to Brent for the wonderful
father he has been to our children.  Also a Happy 
Father's Day to our 3 sons and 1 son-in-law who
are all wonderful fathers.  They all work hard and
teach their children correct principles.  I have
thought about my dad today, and how lucky I was to 
have Paul R. Milligan as my father.  Fathers are
so important!
South coast of Upolu
Swimming with turtles in Savaii


Kids Jumping off cliff at Sua Trench

My scripture for the week is actually advice Alma gave to his son Helaman many years ago.  It is found in Alma 36:3

" And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day."


 I have serious concerns about the direction our country is headed.  I know that strong families who have a father and mother and who teach their children to be moral, to have integrity, to keep the commandments of God through their example, is the answer to many of the problems we face today.    In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints we believe that Families are Forever.  If you want ideas on how to strengthen your own family or more information on what is meant by a "Forever Family" go to mormon.org.

Happy Father's Day to all of you wonderful Father's!
Alofa, Patty


1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you got to spend some time with your family, despite the painful knee. I really miss talking with you, but know you and Brent, who, I agree,is a wonderful father, are serving the Lord with heart, soul and mind. Smiles from across the sea.

    ReplyDelete