Saturday, July 2, 2016

God Bless America!

Beautiful Sunset over Pesega
Talofa Lava Family and Friends,
      Sometimes life gets so crazy here that when I get back to the apt. I just collapse in exhaustion. So here is a summary of what I do in an average week: Record 30-40 Baptisms, answer emails from parents, make up new missionary packets, make up departing missionary packets, take Afalua food shopping, keep track of arriving missionaries, keep track of temporary missionaries, keep track of when missionaries are supposed to go home and make sure their travel is requested, check on missionaries who have been ill, order supplies, check on where in the heck the supplies are that I ordered 6 wks ago, take missionaries to the airport, plan Senior Missionary activities and Family Home Evenings, make up agendas
Elder & Sister Fata's FHE Presentation on their mission to PNG
for meetings, attend meetings, take care of medical emergencies when the McBrides are gone, help missionaries who come into the office with problems, sort mail, answer the phone a zillion times...  Well, you get the idea.  Just didn't want anyone to think that we we lounging at the beach everyday.
      Speaking of beaches, tomorrow is the 4th of July and we have planned a Senors 60's Party.  Hey Dude, we will be cruising to Nu'umau beach, catchin some waves, jamming to the tunes, Dude, eating some grub and celebrating the Greatest Country on Earth.  We might even try a Chinese Fire Drill.
Anna's Banana Gram message
 
Last Monday night Elder Fata shared his experiences when he was serving as Mission President in Papua New Guinea.  He had some amazing stories about baptizing people in waters infested with crocodiles, traveling in groups for safety from bandits, traveling for hours in small boats to get to different areas of the mission.  I am sure Sister Fata will go straight to heaven for enduring the challenges they had there. The bottom line was that they loved their missionaries and the people.  I am impressed that some of the people there travel for days in canoes to get to church conferences.  Their faith was inspiring.  Today in Primary we had several children visiting from PNG - they were beautiful!  I had no idea there were 8 million people who live there, and this presentation changed my perception of this country.  The church currently has two missions there that are both very successful.

Oh-Laa-Laa Ice Cream Parlor


I decided I better start capturing some of the everyday places that I want to remember.  I have mentioned Oh-La-La Ice Cream before, but from the photo you can see why it was such a great discovery.  From the street you would never know that there is great ice cream inside.  The girl that works there has a sister who is serving with my niece's daughter in Pittsburg, PA.

Brent and I have sent for our absentee ballots to vote in November, however we are at a loss of who to vote for in the Presidential race - we really don't want either of the candidates.  I'm waiting to see who they pick for their running mate.   However, I have never missed voting in an election, and I don't plan to start now.  I am going to have to spend time researching the other local elections, so if any of you have personal information on candidates or issues, I'd appreciate it if you passed it on to me through email - ellswor@hotmail.com.

My scripture for the week is for the 4th of July, and comes from the Book of Mormon. It reflects the .  belief that the United States of America was founded by men who were inspired of God, and that it is choice land.  Ether 12:2 " Behold, this is a choice land, and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall be free from bondage, and from captivity, and from all other nations under heaven, if they will but serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ, who hath been manifested by the things which we have written."
I know that all of our family in Las Vegas will be gathering at Chad and Amy's home to swim, bar-b-q and watch the fireworks.  Sure wish I could be there!
Happy 4th of July and God Bless America!
Love, Patty

1 comment:

  1. So much world out there and so much to be done in each place. Your mission office is in good hands with you and Brent there. Are you sure there are 8 million people in Papua New Guinea? It doesn't even cover the whole of the big island! God bless America. God bless this crazy, beautiful, wonderful world.

    ReplyDelete