Sunday, November 24, 2019

Counting My Blessings

Flame Tree - Brent's Favorite - They are breathtaking!
Talofa Family and Friends,
      How did it get to be Thanksgiving already?  With the days noticeably warmer it takes a little bit of effort to get into the Holiday Spirit.  We have invited the Edwards and Patches over for Thanksgiving Dinner, with everyone bringing something to share.  The Butterball Turkey is in the freezer, now all I have to do is find a pan large enough to cook it in.  I did search the stores for anything that might look like fall or Thanksgiving for table decorations - but came up empty handed.  If I was crafty I could probably come up with something, but that's a big "IF".

      Although Thanksgiving decorations are in short supply, Christmas decorations are popping up everywhere.  Driving to Pago for the last several weeks we have been amused at these strange dead tree branches, spray painted white and planted along the road for a couple of miles.  We've been told that one of the churches decorates them with lights and when they turn them on they look quite festive.
These decorations can only get better!
Otherwise the decorations are the traditional wreaths, bows, bells, Christmas Tree, and lights that are starting to appear on businesses, churches and homes.  We are excited to see some of the villages that apparently go all out with decorations.  It will definitely help to get us into the spirit of the season since there is not a single snowflake in sight. 
     Speaking of decorations - the main road this past week has sprouted flags, banners, ribbons, and signs in the school colors of the Samoana Sharks and the Fagaitua Vikings.  I don't think there was a pole, a tree, a balcony that wasn't covered in blue and white or red and white in anticipation of the playoff high school football game.  It was amazing to see the community support and spirit for these two teams, who I understand are long-time rivals.  These decorations stretched literally for miles!  Some trees had hundreds of ribbons tied in them.  All I could think of was I was glad that I wasn't the one who had to take it all down.  The game was yesterday with the Sharks taking a bite out of the Vikings - 36 to 34!
Fagaitua Viking Fans
Look closely for Samoana Ribbons
   
      I was so nice to see that the one theater in town no longer was playing "Terminator" and had "Frozen 2" playing.  I loved the music from the first Frozen movie so I talked Brent into going.  It was cute, but more and more I find myself bored in movies.  Thank goodness for Olaf the Snowman, who made me smile more than once.  I especially liked his song about he can't wait to grow up, because everything makes sense when you're grown-up. NOT!
     That brings me to my efforts to try and stay at least a little informed with national news.  We watched a little bit of the impeachment hearings and were again dismayed at the bickering and acrimony.  What we saw of the Democratic debate was not much better.  I appreciated the candidates who remained civil as I've had enough of the other.  I read in an editorial recently that the First Amendment for Free Speech is starting to change to: "I might not agree with a word you say - and I will do my best to shut you up!"  Like I said, not everything makes sense when you grow up.
Two Dollar beach which now costs $5 - but it's still a deal
     To move to something much nicer, we have finally taken the plunge in American Samoa.  That would be the plunge into the ocean. How Heavenly!  The water is the perfect temperature and the sea is teeming with tropical fish of every size, color and pattern.  Snorkeling here has turned out to be just as amazing as it was in Samoa.  We were pleasantly surprised to see some beautiful different kinds of corals that we hadn't seen before.  With Institute ending this week for Summer Break - we will definitely be taking advantage of this activity we both love.
     In closing I won't bore you with a complete list of everything I am grateful for - Let's just say that there are countless things I have been blessed with.  Alma 26:37 sums up my feelings, "Now we see that God is amindful of every bpeople, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever."  It's my testimony that Jesus Christ is indeed the Savior of all people, this knowledge is my greatest blessing followed closely by our remarkable family and friends.  Sending our love for a blessed Thanksgiving.  Please remember the people of Samoa in your prayers, as they struggle with a terrible measle epidemic which has taken the lives of 22 children.  Remember to count your blessings.
Alofa atu,  Patty (Nana)
     

3 comments:

  1. And you would have had snowflakes in LV? 😏❄❄❄☃️
    How sad that children are dying from a preventable illness. 😔
    Also on my grateful list: wonderful missionaries who sacrifice to share the gospel of Christ and modern electronics that let us keep in touch! Happy Thanksgiving!🍁🍁🥧🍗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EFFECTIVE AND POWERFUL LOVE SPELL CASTER FOR ANY KIND OF PROBLEM YOU WANT TO SOLVE ON THIS YEAR THANKSGIVING AND XMAS CELEBRATION


      am from USA, would want to tell you all that i was able to put an end to my divorce issue and restore my marriage again, because i never wanted it to happen. i don’t know what came over my husband that he was filling for divorce, i etried to talk him out of it when he told me and he didn’t listen to me, i had no other option than to seek for the help of a spell caster and now am glad i did. Because if not for the help of spell, i don’t know what would have become of me by now because i loved my husband so much that i couldn’t stand loosing him. The spell worked like magic with the way and manner my husband change and started showing love instead of the divorce he was planning. i just too happy that everything is in place for me now. I would gladly recommend the use of spell to any one going through marriage problems and want to put an end to it. [gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com , gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com was were i got the help to restore my marriage]
      website: http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me

      Delete
  2. One thing I am grateful for is my very long friendship with you and Brent. Take care and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete